Monday 30 January 2012

Being a data scientist - a revival?

After watching the presentation of John Rauser (Amazon) at Strata New York 2011 on the topic of data scientist carreer, I came to the amazing conclusion that I am trained (amongst other things) as a data scientist!  I have a background in mathematics (bachelor at Nijmegen), but also in operations research and artificial intelligence (master at Maastricht). The program in Maastricht is called "Knowledge Engineering" - but maybe they should switch their name to "Data Science" to keep at track with this new hype...   I have been a teacher in computer science at that program for almost 10 years, but currently I have a position at the educational department of our faculty and am mainly involved in implementing clever computer applications to help learning. This course in learning analytics (#LAK12) might bring the data scientist in me back to life.

By the way, I agree  completely with John Rauser that writing skills, being sceptical and curiosity are vital traits - but that is true for all scientists.


No comments:

Post a Comment